The Mint Shop

The Mint Shop

Wednesday 1 December 2010

Chai Tea



As the Ice Age is still raging in Cambridge (I heard it reached -10C which may or may not be true depending on how dramatic they want it to make it sound to excuse themselves for being so rubbish at non-coping with the cold), I came to adopt drastic measures.

I am now wearing four layers between tops and jumpers (of various thickness), three pairs of socks (including the skiing ones), the water bottle under my feet, and the fire place burning Wimpole Hall-collected-logs (shhh...don't say this too loud!) almost non-stop. To give me an extra boost, I decided to make a spicy drink. And thought of Chai Tea.

The idea of simmering milk with spices and water made R. very worried. The look on his little face was so dispirited that I accepted to modify the original idea. So instead of adding milk, I simply simmer the water for a minute or two and then let brew for 2-3 minutes with all the goodies I added. The smell was so overpowering - it almost made me forget my three toes were frozen....

Reinvented Chai

For 2 cups (or 4 glasses)

4-6 cloves
4-6 cardamom pods
half a cinnamon stick
grated zest of 1/4 lemon
1 tbsp Indian black tea (or Gunpowder)
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tbsp sugar

1. Grind the cloves, cardamom together.

2. Add the nutmeg, the zest and sugar. Place the mix in a pan.

3. Pour boiling water in the pan and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.

4. Transfer in a pot and let it brew for a few more minutes. Add more sugar according to taste.

The sugar really brings out the flavour of cardamom. It is a really calming and warming drink. Even just making it is a pleasure.

I will make it again later perhaps with a biscuit I will bake tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment