Personally I don't find anything more disappointing than discovering that your favourite cooking magazine has in fact not tested its recipes. Especially when I always relied blind-folded on it. But I guess disappointment may come sooner or later on everything.
I suppose one way of limiting the disappointment is not to expect too much from anything. But that is a bit sad, actually, isn't it? So my best way of overcoming disappointment is just to give it another chance and try my luck.
That is why I think I will give these biscuits another go, possibly with all the tweaks which I believe will make it work properly and create some yummy biscuits. I give you the recipe as it should be. I don't want to feel responsible for your own disappointment.
Hazelnut and cinnamon biscuits (Delizie alla cannella)
70g ground hazelnut
2 egg yolks (leave the whites aside)
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp cinnamon powder
1 lemon zest
1. Mix the flour with 80g of sugar, ground hazelnuts, cinnamon, lemon zest.
2. Beat until pale the sugar with the eggs.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into the eggy butter.
4. Make a ball and roll it into a sausage of 4cm diameter.
5. Wrap the sweet sausage in cling film and leave it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
6. After the half an hour the sausage has been resting in the fridge, take it out and cut it into slices of 1.5cm
7. Cook the slices on a greased tray for 10minutes at C180.
8. Aside beat the egg whites until it forms peaks adding 50g icing sugar and a tsp of cinnamon. Remove the biscuits from the oven and decrease the oven temperature down to C100.
9. When the oven is now C100 place a tsp of the merengue on top of the biscuit and place a whole hazelnut on top. In this way the biscuit will finish to cook and and meringue will cook slowly without burning. The disappointment of the original recipe was that they make you bake everything together at C180 which cannot work as of course the meringue will burn.
Unfortunately R. brought me the wrong wire to upload other photos...but I must admit I might have decided to omit it anyway as they didn't look all this great....I would be interested in hearing what your biggest disappointments have been (without going too personal of course!).