The Mint Shop

The Mint Shop

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Chocolate Winter warmer


I did promise to feed you with more chocolate. I think the weather requires it. It is so cold here and my feet are suffering - I do sound like an old granny when I say that I suffer from chilblains..many people don't even know what they are!

Probably I should increase my diet of chilly and spicy food. I should start planning a cycle of Asian dinners to R's joy. I will keep you posted on this.

In the mean time I am drinking litres and litres of hot tea (that ground floor loo has turned out to be useful after all! My mother-in-law was right....). So to go with my tea, I have clearly finished the Dutch bread, I have made a new cake combining my favourite Winter ingredients: chocolate, orange, cinnamon and pine nuts. Et voila! A chocolate with orange, cinnamon and pine nuts cake!

Winter Cake

200g dark chocolate
2 eggs
1 egg yolk (this means you use three eggs!)
100g sugar
100g flour
100g butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cointreau (or whisky or Grand Marnier)
2 tsp cinnamon (or mixed spices)
zest of 1 orange
1 tbsp orange juice
3-4 tbsp pine nuts

1. Mix the flour with the baking powder and the cinnamon.

2. Melt baigne marie (in a glass bowl over a pan with steaming water) the chocolate chopped in pieces to speed up the process together with the butter. Mix well and set aside to cool down.

3. Whisk the eggs with the sugar and grate the orange zest in it. Add the liquor and mix well. Add the pine nuts and mix well. Add everything to the chocolate mix. Mix well to ensure everything is well incorporated.

4. Sift in the wet mixture the flour and mix well to make sure the flour is absorbed.

5. Pour the mix in a shallow or plump cake tin previously buttered and floured to avoid the cake sticks to the bottom or the sides of the tin.

6. Cook the cake in the oven at C180 for 30 minutes.

7. When it is cooked, leave it on a rack to cool down and then sprinkle either cacao or icing sugar (I would have preferred the icing sugar but I realised I had finished it when I did the carrot cake and couldn't be bothered to walk out in the cold...I think it looks pretty even in dark!).



P.S. Now that I have taken a photo of it, I can go and eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment