The Mint Shop

The Mint Shop

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Cherries in haste


This is a super quick blog before I go to bed getting ready to our hopefully super sunny, sea and fishiy holiday in Corsica! I promise that I will try to learn a couple of recipes from the Italo/French island and tell you all about it!
This afternoon I had my friend Viviana, who I hadn't seen for ages; in fact so far it seems that we only managed to meet each other at Stansted flying to Italy on a s***** Ryanair plane....funny isn't it?

So as I thought it was kind of a special event I felt it was good to cook a cake for her to go with her cup of vanilla tea. Despite the fact that poor Viv had to provide most of the ingredients as I couldn't really leave the house as I was waiting for a delivery which in the typical English way come between 8am and 7pm....and I had no eggs and flour in the larder! I know, how pathetic is that!
Anyway, going back to the celebratory bit, I had the idea (not that original afterall as this is the fifth time that I make one...Russell has come to hate them by now!) to use our cherries that we froze some time ago, as we had something like 1,850,000 cherries from our massive tree.....and made a clafoutis...the recipe goes like this:

For 6 people

Ingredients

> 3 eggs; 75g caster sugar; 75g flour; 1 tsp of vanilla essence; 300ml milk; 300g cherries (enough to cover the bottom of the dish - I never weight them to be honest); 1 tsp baking powder.

Preparation

> Place the cherries on the bottom of a buttered tin (20cm diameter maximum).

> Beat the eggs with the sugar; add the vanilla extract.

> Add the milk and keep beating the mix.

> Add the flour to which you will have incorporated the baking powder (mix well or you will have a souffle' effect only on one side of the cake!) - use a sift to pass the flour to the eggy mix.

> Pour the mix on the cherries and cook in the oven for 35 minutes at 180C.

> Remove from the oven and let the cake to cool. Serve warm or cold with cream, custard or ice cream.

The cake is really easy and super light as it has no butter and very little flour and sugar! A bonus for a heavy dinner with friends like tonight...the six of us had 5 bottles of wine which being a Wednesday wasn't too bad I guess...I feel ready to go to bed though...and ready to be on another s***** Ryanair plane tomorrow morning.....sun, sea and fish...wait for me!!! I'm arriving!!!

I promise I will write more when I am back....

No comments:

Post a Comment