The Mint Shop

The Mint Shop

Monday 17 January 2011

The many sauces for Oysters



One of my readers has asked me to share the secrets of what I did with the discounted oysters I bought last Friday. Well, first of all I am indeed posting about it now but I ate them last weekend - doubt they would have still been all right by now and a long trail of cats would have probably queued in front of our door.

I must confess: I don't like oysters. I force myself so that one day I'll get to like them. I'm sure that when this happens, they will be delicious. The secret for now is to drip carefully their water and cover them with as much dressing as possible. Without looking at the jelly body moving in front of my eyes.

Apparently one should only eat oysters during the months which contain an r in their name - so absolutely to be avoided between May and August. Now it is ok then.

Two nice ideas to dress them (in case they're cold):

with ginger and shallots

1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp white wine
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp thinly sliced spring onion
1 tsp sesame oil
a few drops of Tabasco

1. Put they soy sauce, wine, tabasco, and sugar in a small saucepan and mix well. Simmer over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.

2. Then add the ginger and spring onion. Simmer for 1 minute and then stir in the sesame oil.

3. Spoon about 1 or 2 tsp of the sauce over each oyster. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if you have and serve.


with lemon herb dressing

1 tbsp chopped dill
1 galic clove, crushed
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tsp chopped chives
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp olive oil

1. Put the garlic, parsley, dill, chives, coriander, juice and oil in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Mix together well.

2. Drizzle a little of the dressing over each oyster and serve with cubes of white or brown bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment