The Mint Shop

The Mint Shop

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Cauliflower in Winter


I think I am a reasonably good cook ("we hope so"! you must probably think) but somehow I don't think I'm good at creating from nothing. I mean there are those people who can generate a mouth-watering dish using only their imagination. I need a recipe. Even if I don't follow it (as I often don't even seem able to read) I still need some starting point from which to divert.

I am sure that cauliflower doesn't make anyone fantasize. Especially as you know that it is really good for you - full of vitamin, anti-oxidants etc. And that off-white colour is probably not the most inspiring. However, even cauliflower can be promising. And I managed to come up with a recipe all on my own and which was even tasty!

If you also have in your cupboard potatoes, leeks and cheese, then you're fine. I added a few extra frills to make it a bit less hospice-taste like...

Cauliflower with pine nuts, paprika and lemon

For 2 people

half a cauliflower
half a leek
2 medium potatoes
100ml milk
50g parmesan (or white cheese like brie)
zest of 1/4 lemon
1 tbsp pine nuts
1 tsp paprika

1. Peel and cut into medium pieces the potatoes. Boil them in hot and salted (2 tsp salt) water for 5 minutes or until almost tender.

2. Cut the leek in rings and cook it in a large frying pan in a knob of butter for 5 minutes. Add the milk and stir well. Add the cheese and melt it well.

3. Cut the cauliflower and add it to the potatoes once they are almost cooked.

4. Drain the above vegetables and add them to the leeks. Grate the lemon zest and stir well as otherwise the milk stars curdling.

5. Add the pine nuts and continue stir frying the vegetables so that the nuts toast. Sprinkle the paprika over the vegetables and serve immediately when still warm.

You can also add some raisins. That really makes it very Christmassy and I suspect could be a nice side dish to the boring turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment